Pages

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Cultural Competencies and the Social makeup of the Hub! (Mini Inquiry)

SOCIOGRAMS


"Classroom climate, though difficult to define and assess, affects student learning, especially in Primary schools. Most of the current research focuses on the primary "leader" of that classroom climate — the teacher. There is little doubt that our behaviours, as teachers, determine the overall climate of the classroom, but peer actions and reactions also significantly affect classroom climate for individual students. "

(Reworded from an article I read by Dr Brian P and Jessica Siberling found in the book entitled: Contemporary School Psychology




I have met with Nikki Ormsby (LTRB) and we talked about the importance of dynamics and social/peer interactions on learning in the classroom.  It got me thinking about how I could gather valid and reliable data of how the social dynamics of the classroom and then use that data to improve learning outcomes.

My Hunch Wondering: If I had a greater understanding of the individual social/peer to peer relationships could this make a positive impact on the class as a whole or individuals.


Step 1: Research/Read and Inquire into how I can find out reliable data on the social peer to peer relationships in the classroom.

Step 2: Assess if there is any value in carrying out an assessment.

Step 3: Carry out an assessment

Step 4: Analyse the data

Step 5: Take Action - How will I change my practice? What do I expect to happen? What's my next hunch? (Double Looping the inquiry)

As part of the CoL I had watched this and it helped me to understand the Spiral of Inquiry.







No comments:

Post a Comment